Friday 22 March 2013

Book review - A tiny wife by Andrew Kaufman

I'm a big fan of Andrew Kaufman, having loved 'All my friends are superheroes' and heard wonderful things about 'The waterproof bible' too, which I am yet to read.  

So what is it about?  An armed robber walks into a bank one day, demanding not money, but an item of sentimental value from each of the thirteen people there.

"Your soul is a living, breathing, organic thing.  No different from your heart or your legs.  And just like your heart keeps your blood oxygenated and your legs keep you moving around, your soul gives you the ability to do amazing, beautiful things......  
When I leave here, I will take 51 per cent of your souls with me.  This will have strange and bizarre consequences in your lives.  But more importantly... learn how to grow them back, or you will die"
    
There are very strange consequences in store for the victims including a tattoo which comes to life, a man that turns into a snowman and of course a lady that shrinks a little more each day!

It's difficult to say much more without giving too much away. It's a very short book, at only 88 pages but it packs a large punch.  It has just the right balance between playfulness and the macabre as with all good fairy tales! 

Tom Percival's shadow puppet style illustrations throughout were wonderful and certainly appealed to
the papercutter in me! 



I really enjoyed this book and would give it 8/10.  If you've read it, I'd love to know what you thought!  
Jo x

2 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this, on the hunt for new books so perfect timing!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you love it too! Let me know if you read it xx

    ReplyDelete